Sunday, April 4, 2010

Why I Love Old Houses

As I mentioned when I started this blog, I have a fascination with and attraction to old houses. It's probably because I grew up in a circa 1918 house in Victoria with all sorts of unique features including a pull-down staircase to the attic (talk about the ultimate kids fort!), a fireplace in the dining room and a separate wash closet (toilet room), among its many features.




I remember my Mom and Dad talking about the "character" and "charm" of old homes and watching "This Old House" with my parents on Sunday nights.

So, I thought I'd share some photos of some of the things I love about our current house (built in 1913).

My clawfoot tub, the trim around the windows and doors, the funny angles in the upstairs hallway and the beautiful cold air returns/heating vent covers which were originally coated with about 5 coats of paint before being stripped to reveal the original metal beneath (look closely, they're all slightly different).



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love all those character details too! Looks like a gorgeous house....xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your house! Homes like that aren't common where I live. Your gardens are beautiful too.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails